Thursday, October 27, 2011

Brain Power and Daily Habits

I recently had the opportunity to watch the movie "Limitless."  I found it rather interesting, as well as a bit disturbing.  The main character of the movie is given a drug that gives him access to 100% of his brain power.  With this power, he takes advantage of other people, makes a lot of money, and nearly gets killed for doing all he can to maintain his stash of the drug and keep it away from others.  

 
This got me thinking about how much of my brain I am using, and how much I am wasting.  I don't think a drug is needed to expand your brain power, and I certainly hope that those who have tapped into more of their brain power aren't using it to take advantage of others. 


The following are some daily habits that I strive to maintain.  I believe these habits help me access more of my potential.  I think there are many more habits that I need to develop that would help, but this is a start.  I have developed these habits through my own experiences and through the examples of those around me.

Prayer
I try to start and end every day with prayer.  This helps me to remember the source of all of my blessings.  It also helps me to stay humble and grateful.

Devotional
Daily devotional for me means reading or listening to scriptures, conference talks, and other inspirational talks or videos.  Again, this reminds me of where all my blessings come from.  Through this, I also gain insights and knowledge that helps me prioritize goals and improve my character.
 
Planning
I try to plan each day as best I can either early in the morning or the night before.  This usually is an ongoing process for me.  Luckily, I have a handy tablet that helps remind me of different things I have planned on. 

Exercise
There have been several periods in my life where I have been very good about exercising regularly.  Sadly, however, the streaks of time where I do not exercise regularly far outnumber the times where I have been good at this.  I have failed miserably most of the time.  I know the benefits of this one, but somehow it is the first habit that I get out of when life gets busy.  I will continue to try getting back into this habit.

Vitamins
I have set myself a reminder to take my multivitamins daily.  I have noticed substantial increases in my energy levels when I do this each day.  When I forget to take my vitamins, especially for several days in a row, I find that I am more fatigued and less able to focus and concentrate on important things.

Finances
I have learned by experience that budgeting and keeping track of finances is very important to the survival and financial success of your family.  Times for us over the past few years have not really been easy for us financially.  We have suffered from unemployment as well as up to 50% decrease in salary.  By staying on top of our expenses daily, we have been able to make sure our family always has what we need.

Unfortunately, despite my best efforts there have been times where we have completely run out of money and the outlook was bleak.

Fortunately, we have had help of neighbors, friends, and family to get us through the roughest times.  We are so thankful for those who have looked out for us along the way.

Family Time
Life is busy.  With Ritchell and I both working, we have a hard time making sure that we spend time together as a family.  Most of the time, this family time is simply all of us relaxing together in the living room after a long day.  Sometimes the only time I have with my children is when I am getting them ready for bed and tucking them in at night.  I try to make the most of it by doing my best to teach them and also to have fun with them.

I am so happy to come home to the hugs and kisses of our sweet girls. 

Service
The habit of service to others is one that I have struggled with.  It is difficult for me at times to stop thinking about myself and focus on the needs of others.  I try to maintain this habit by serving my children and Ritchell.  This may mean simply helping out with household chores, cleaning up after the kids, changing diapers, or giving a back-rub after a long and tiring day.  I'll be the first to admit, and I am sure Ritchell would be the second to admit that I need to work on this one.  :)

Show Some Love
I have tried to make it a habit of mine to tell my wife and children how much I love them each day.  If you haven't tried this, I highly recommend it.  I have found that our family is much nicer to each other when they hear loving words from their parents.  They return this love so easily and freely.  Expressing love even when I know that love won't be immediately returned has proven very rewarding and always comes back full-circle in the end. 

I am trying to show love in more ways, such as passing on encouraging words to others who may be struggling.  I hope to improve on this habit as I increase in age.

Current Events
Until more recently, this wasn't a habit of mine.  There are a lot of things that happen in this world that need to be known.  Many things that happen can effect your life and the lives of many others.  It is important to keep up with what is going on so that I can at least voice my opinion on matters if not volunteer my time and efforts to make a difference.  Frankly, there are too many terrible things and terrible ideas and trends out there and truth and correct principles need a voice. 


Increase Knowledge
After graduating from college, I found that as time passed I was losing more and more of what I learned and tried to find ways to reverse that.  I try to increase my knowledge daily by reading or listening to books--both fiction and nonfiction.  Recently, I have decided to try and get back into school to pursue my MBA degree at BYU.  This has changed my current goals to increase knowledge, specifically by studying for the GMAT exam. 


Disclaimer
I don't claim to always follow these habits.  I wish that I was perfect enough to keep these habits a more regular part of my life.  I struggle to maintain these habits, but find it helpful to write them down regularly to remind myself what is important.  Too often, I am distracted by unimportant things and I need to try harder and harder each day.  

I would love to hear different things that you and others strive to do on a daily basis.  How do you maintain your good habits?  What are you doing to increase your capacity to love, learn, grow, and help others?

Please share. 

5 comments:

Keri said...

Mitch and I review our budget every two weeks together. We have a Google document (spreadsheet) with our budget on it, so we can access it anywhere. I highly recommend doing this. It's a fun way to budget. Right now we have a goal to save $1000/month for a home. We want to put down at least 20% before we buy. We're Dave Ramsey fans.

Dan Steinmetz said...

Nice! We use Quicken on our computer for our budget. Dave Ramsey is awesome! We did the FPU and have been working on our debt snowball. We have done a lot of other things that he suggests to lower our bills and raise our income. It seems a lot of times though that the emergencies never go away, even with the emergency fund.

Thanks for the comments!

Anonymous said...

The POLO T-Shirts For Men is a timeless fashion icon, and one that practically every person owns at least one. With the choices that are now available, the polo shirt will likely continue to be a fashionable choice for years to come.Other POLO L-Sleeved Shirt For Men POLO Shirts For Men POLO Sweaters For Men Polo for women polo long sleeve for women

visio2010sale said...

Start by Visio 2010 Backstage look at Convenience Checker undertaking lite, you Microsoft visio 2010 are able to the articles in addition to restoration connected with issues which can exist. The Visio 2010organization graph and or chart do range via uncomplicated graphs to help difficult strategies dependant on another data store info Microsoft visio 2010 download. Design inside business information can present simple details or detailed information (like office and price middle) Visio 2010 download. Can even create photographs to the form of the group chart.

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol tramadol hcl recreational use - tramadol 600 mg daily