Sunday, January 28, 2007

TND/ New Urbanism

Another busy week has gone by. I have been working hard on keeping up with school and work. At school, I have been spending a lot of time getting ready for our competition in Reno Feb. 7-10. At work, I have been busy training companies how to use our construction management software, and trying to get more sales.

This week for our CM seminar, we had a company come that has changed my outlook on what I want to do when I get out of school. The company that came was called Goodboro, LLC. http://www.goodboro.com/ is their website if you would like to know more about them. They spoke to us about TND, which stands for traditional neighborhood development. In the past, we have had speakers come and tell us about the same concept, but I wasn't inspired until now.

The idea behind TND, or New Urbanism, is to reduce the amount of sprawl in developments and revert back to how development was in the past. This means not focusing developments around the car by having huge roads, garages and parking lots and building lots with 30ft setback requirements, but instead to design a community around the pedestrian. Designing around the pedestrian means making the grocery store, civic buildings, etc, within walking distance of residents and making the streets smaller and more pleasant to walk down; Concentrating residential, commercial, and industry closer together so as to reduce the need for a car and thus reducing traffic and headaches and pollution. One of the facts that I really like is the statistic they gave about affordability of homes. If families did not need a second car, they would have money to buy homes $80,000 more expensive than if they only had one car to pay for. There are many more problems that this kind of development addresses that could take me all day to explain. I really believe that this is the future, and that it needs to be. I have to tell you that I was very inspired after hearing Goodboro's lecture and their explanation of why TNDs are the future of development.

If you would like more information on TNDs, here is another place you can look: http://www.tndtownpaper.com/neighborhoods.htm

When I first heard about TNDs, I was not convinced at all. My thinking was "who wants to share their backyard with everyone?" At this point, I don't believe it is the American dream, but I think it should be. I think in a way TNDs allow for a higher standard of living and community than we now have. People would not be as isolated in their own homes. You would actually know who your neighbors are because you would see them outside instead of driving by. Obesity would not be as big of a problem because people would actually get out and walk to where they had to go, instead of drive. Maybe instead of playing video games all day, kids might actually get out and be more active as well.

Anyway...it's something to think about. I think that I would like my next home to be in a community like a TND. There is a book that I would like to read that is supposed to explain more of the theory behind TNDs. It is called Suburban Nation. I am definitely going to have to get my hands on that book.

Not much else on my mind lately except that we have our next prenatal appointment on Tuesday. Still one more month 'til we find out if it is a boy or girl.

Happy Sunday!

Tagalog Word of the Day
Bago (bag-oh)
adj. - New

No comments: