Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What I am Thankful For --Part 2

I am very thankful for great leaders and teachers both past and present who have taught me through their good works, and good examples.  These people have had a great influence on my life.  Thank you!  (These are in no particular order of importance.)
L. Michael and Sharon Keone presided over the Philippines Quezon City Mission during the second half of my time there.  They were both so caring and loving.  They taught me a lot about how to treat other people and also a lot about living and enjoying life. 
Robert K. and Cynthia S. Wagstaff presided over the Philippines Quezon City Mission during the first half of my time there.  They taught me the importance of sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ with others.  They also taught me a lot about living and enjoying life.
President Bush did not necessarily have a huge impact on me personally as he was president of the United States.  I have recently come to appreciate him as a great leader of our country.  He has impressed me with his honesty and humility--traits I think every great leader should have.
Dave Ramsey has greatly influenced the way I think about money.  His books and radio program inspire me to do better...not just with my money, but also with other aspects of my life--family, friends, and how I treat those around me.
Robert Hokanson has been someone I have looked up to for a long time.  Robert is someone who goes beyond the call of duty.  He was a youth leader while I was a youth.  He always went out of his way to spend time with me and others--more time than was required for the position he was in.  I am very grateful for his good example.
President Gordon B. Hinkley was president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1995 until his death a few years ago.  He taught many great lessons to so many people throughout the world.  He left a huge legacy and his influence will be on the earth for many years to come.
The first presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Thomas S. Monson, Dieter F. Uchtdorf, and Henry B. Eyring.  These 3 men spend countless hours in the service of their fellow human beings.  They are a great example of what men ought to be.
The quorum of the twelve apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.   Boyd K. Packer, L. Tom Perry, Russell M. Nelson, Dallin H. Oaks, M. Russell Ballard,  Richard G. Scott, Robert D. Hales, Jeffrey R. Holland, David A. Bednar, Quintin L. Cook, D. Todd Christofferson, and Neil L. Anderson. These men also spend countless hours in the service of others and in proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ to all the world.
Joseph Smith, Jr was a prophet of God.  He restored the church of Jesus Christ to the earth in modern times.  His teachings and his example have influenced millions of people to come unto Christ.  He suffered even to death so that the gospel of Jesus Christ could move forward. 
Jesus Christ made it possible for me to repent of all of my mistakes.  He taught me through his example how to treat others and what is most important in this life.  He suffered the pains and sins of all so that we can become clean and return to live with Father in Heaven.  I am very thankful for this and know that without Him, my situation would be hopeless.
My parents.  Both of them have spent countless hours serving me.  They have always been a great example to me.  I am so thankful for my mother--for teaching me the importance of prayer and also for teaching me through her example that we truly can do or accomplish anything we are willing to work hard for.  I am thankful for my father--for teaching me the importance of service through his countless hours as a scoutmaster while I was a boy.  I am thankful for their love and their service to me--which many times is un-deserved.
Ricardo "Buboy" Innocentes and Jellette "Lilet" Panilagao.  These two are among some of the best friends I have had in my life.  They are both great examples to me.  Each of them spent many days with me while I was a missionary serving in their area--San Rafael, Montalban.  They were and continue to be great missionaries and examples to thousands of people in the Philippines.  I am thankful for their example and their friendship.
The del Val family--and Kuya Nelson.  The del Vals have always treated me like family.  As a new missionary in a foreign land, this family took me in and made me feel right at home.  They fed me.  They taught me.  They befriended me.  I will never forget their good example to me of kindness.  I would like to model my family after theirs.  They work hard, love hard, and enjoy life to the fullest.  Thank you.  Kuya Nelson spent many hours in missionary service while I was there.  He is a great example to me. 
Bruce C. Hemming, PhD.  Bruce is another great leader in my life.  While I was a young man, Bruce also went beyond his duty as a bishop and helped me in more ways than I may be able to recognize.  He put me to work for him at his laboratory.  I am certain this kept me out of much trouble that most youths get into.  He taught me the importance of working hard and earning a living.  Thank you.
Rob Metler.  Rob is a great example of how I would like to be as a businessman, friend, and mentor.  I had the opportunity to work with Rob at Builderhelper.com.  I learned a lot from him about how others should be treated in the business world as well as personally.  His optimism is contagious.  He can always uplift those around him.  I am thankful for that example.

My aunt and uncle.  Nola and Kent Steinmetz.  I have always been impressed and looked up to my aunt and uncle as great examples.  Their family is an example of how I would like my family to be.  They have taught me through their good examples of faith, service, diligence, hard work, and positive outlook on life.  Thank you.
My brother-in-law.  Anthony Brimhall.  Anthony has always been a great example to me of a hard worker and a selfless individual.  I have been the recipient of many hours of his service.  His knowledge and handy-ness have been a great positive influence in my life.  Thank you.
My brother-in-law.  Lee Morgan.  Lee has been a great example to me.  He has always treated my sister and their children with the love and respect they deserve.  He is a great leader.  He positively influences everyone he comes in contact with and I am grateful to have him in the family.  Thank you.


There are many more people that I have looked up to, admired, and learned from over the years.  The more I ponder, I keep remembering more and more.  Thank you.  I am truly grateful for you and I would not be who I am today without your good influences and examples.

No comments: