Sunday, January 23, 2011

Blasts from the Past

What a week!  Things are really picking up at work.  So much that I can't get everything done that needs to get done, so we'll probably be hiring someone soon.  Good problem to have!  2011 is looking like it will be a good year.  Sometime in the near future I may post details on the hiring--if you may know of someone that needs a job.

I am feeling very connected to my childhood lately.  In the past week, several experiences have reminded me of the past.  Those worry free days.  The days when summers seemed to last a lifetime and you thought that someone who was 18 was old and it was so far off you thought you'd never get that old.

I had the chance to chat online with Sean, my best friend growing up and brother from another mother.  It was nice to catch up with him and talk about the fun times we had together when we were kids.  I miss those times playing wiffle ball in Skyler's (who I also found on facebook this week) backyard--pretending to be MLB pros, and trying to see who could make the best paper airplane. 

I was going through some old stuff of mine in storage a few months ago and found a picture and some old letters that I didn't even know I had kept from a girl I had a serious crush on when we were kids (early 1990s--name removed to protect the innocent! :).  Curious, I thought I'd look her up on facebook and see if I could find her.  I searched and found her.  I sent the friend request and waited..and waited, and then thought..."I guess she doesn't remember me" or "maybe she doesn't want to remember me" lol, since I never got a response.  Oh well, life goes on.  Then, out of the blue, earlier this week I woke up and thought "maybe there's more than one person with her name."  So I searched again and sure enough...the first one I found a few months ago was not her!  So I found her and now we're friends on facebook.  I also found her brother, who was also a good friend of mine.  Finding them on facebook and hearing from her has brought back a lot of memories that I had almost totally forgotten.  Very fun to remember those times.  I also can't help but laugh out loud at the things I did when I was a kid.  Ritchell loves to hear about it too and tease me about it.

I'm not done.  Last night, Ritchell and I were out doing our grocery shopping and ran into another person from my childhood, Mark Grierson.  He was a youth leader when I was in high school.  I learned a lot from him and really did a lot of growing up while he was my leader.  It was really cool to run into him and talk about all of the people from the old ward and how everyone is doing. 

So many people from the past suddenly resurface.  How cool is that?  I don't think there has been any other time on earth when it has been possible to keep in touch with so many people from anywhere in the world.  Amazing!

This picture was taken a few weeks ago, but it really could have been taken any day this week.  I've been so busy at work and not sleeping well.


Daddy and his girls

3 comments:

Kent and Nola said...

We love this picture!!

Mitch & Keri said...

Cute kids, Danny! Mitch is looking for a job, so please let us know if you're gonna be hiring.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Dan, not sure if you remember me but we used to live across from your family on Brookvale. We left in 1989, I'm Missy Sisk. I was good friends with your sister Kristie and would like to get back in touch with her. Is she on FB? Please feel free to give her my email! melissahatton1@hotmail.com